Harrisburg, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: do the law count the time from when the felony was caught or once the sentence was over.

the felony was in another state and it is over 15 years old. it happen in the 90s and release 2005

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Pacillio
Steven Pacillio
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Please provide more details. What are you trying to count? If you are looking for an expungement, that would need to be filed in the state where the conviction occurred. The expungement laws vary from state to state. I know you said it was in another state, but by way of example a felony conviction in PA is never eligible for expungement unless you petition for and are granted a Governor's Pardon first.

Check with an attorney in the county and state where the conviction occurred as that would be the court where an expungement petition would need to be filed.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.