Asked in Medical Malpractice for Oklahoma

Q: If I was misdiagnosed at birth by doctor's but didn't find out until the age of 31 what can I do and what are my options

Was misdiagnosed was told at birth that my diagnose was muscular dystrophy and found out that the doctor misdiagnosed me found out at the age of 31 and my correct diagnose was cerebral palsy "spastic diplegic"

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: This is something on which an Oklahoma attorney should advise, as med mal statutes of limitations and their conditions are governed by state law. But your post remains open for three weeks. As a general premise in some jurisdictions, the statute of limitations could be suspended and the clock might not start running until a person reaches adulthood. At 31, regardless of the law, that could be irrelevant. Some jurisdictions also apply a "discovery" rule in med mal cases, where the claimant's clock for being within the applicable state statute of limitations does not start until they discovered or should have discovered the medical condition. I don't know what the law in Oklahoma is, but if you arranged an initial consult with an Oklahoma med mal attorney, they should be able to advise you of your rights and the operation of state law for med mal statutes of limitations. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.