Springfield, OH asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: How do I go from third party custody to adoption?

I have a child that was removed from her home 14 months ago. She has lived with me since. I currently have temporary custody, and the state filed for LC. The next hearing is July.

Cps is not filing for tpr because they do not have custody, only I do. Mother neglected child, has made minimal progress on case plan, is mentally ill, and I could go on.

Father pays $18 a week for child support, but has not seen her in 4 months. He requested no further visits from the case manager and said he does not want a relationship with his daughter. No contact since.

So, assuming I get LC, legal custody, how would I then adopt her? She's six if that matters and neither parent will agree to it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Adoption will be filed through the probate court in Clark county. You will have to get an attorney (required by the local court) and prove what you need to under R.C 3107.07.

You will need to allege and prove the following: The parent has failed without justifiable cause to provide more than de minimis contact with the minor or to provide for the maintenance and support of the minor as required by law or judicial decree for a period of at least one year immediately preceding either the filing of the adoption petition or the placement of the minor in the home of the petitioner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.