Atlanta, GA asked in Military Law for North Carolina

Q: Will I get my GI bill if I'll get separated for a mental condition?

I enlisted in the army, infantry, just over a year ago. Got deployed, came back. During a period of depression I went to behavioral health and was diagnosed with a bipolar disorder. I didn't behave in any misconduct, I fullfilled my duties so far, but I dont know how to take it anymore. If I get separated, will I still receive my gi bill benefits? It doesn't look like I'll finish my 3 years enlistment, so will I get at least a percentage of it, or a full amount? I'm very anxious about my future so I would appreciate to get an answer so I could stop worrying. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. As for discharge, if your discharge is honorable that will not prevent you from receiving GI benefits if you are eligible based on length of time of service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.