Bradenton, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Can a felony charge of grand theft be amended from 3600 to 18,000 after I went to court and was agreed upon 3600.

At court the owner did not have witnesses that was January now today May 6 I'm told have to go to court for a letter written by a person who was never involved and now it's up to 18000. I went to jail, court and now on probation and paying. The owner is pinning all employee thefts on me because of being management when clearly on video other employees are stealing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey H. Garland
Jeffrey H. Garland
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Pierce, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: All of these concerns should have been addressed at the time you were put onto probation. I suggest you call the attorney who represented you at the change of plea in this case. That attorney should know whether the amount of restitution was “set “ or “open”. If the amount of restitution was already set and agreed to, then you may have grounds to object to efforts to increase it. If restitution was ordered, but the amount reserved, then the amount of restitution is open for determination by the court by a preponderance of evidence standard. The restitution must relate to the charge you plead to or to the matters you agreed to pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.