Dora, AL asked in Divorce and Child Support for Alabama

Q: My daughter that I pay child support on turns 19 in March 2021. She will be a senior in high school until May 2021

She will be 19 in March 2021 and graduate high school in May 2021. I would like my child support to end when she turns 19. Can I end it in March 2021 or do I have to wait until May 2021? Can I file to cease child support a few months before she graduates? My chilid support is garnished and I do not want to pay past her high school graduation.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. It can end in March. Make sure you file the necessary form, or speak with a family law attorney in the county where your case was originally to find out exactly what you need to do.

A: Unless you have a old order (rendered before a case called in re CHristopher) that commands you to pay college expenses, child support ends when the a child turns 19 years old. You are going to have to go back to court to do this if there are other children. Be careful there because child support may well be modified for other children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.