Foley, AL asked in Child Support and Divorce for Alabama

Q: My husband and I are signing divorce papers and he will be on child support and the papers are included in the paperwork

Do we file the child-support papers with the divorce papers and they will be sent to DHR or do I need to keep the child support papers and contact DHR so they can be filed separately?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You file the child support papers with the divorce paperwork. The judge will enter an Income Withholding Order to have your husbands employer take it out of his check. He will not go through DHR unless he doesn’t pay, them you can use DHR to help in the collection process. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.