Orlando, FL asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Dad passed away in Puerto Rico. By law can I get some of his ashes? I am his adult daughter that lives in Florida.

My grandmother, his mom, passed away one month before him and the family would like to inter the ashes in the same mausoleum in Colombia. His common-law wife refuses to interact with his daughters. Legally can something be done to get some of his ashes?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings;

Our condolences to you and your family. You have to know the whereabouts of your dad and know what happened afterwards. Then you will have to get a release form the agency and a court order to be able to request the procedure to be made in order to transport the ashes with you.

If you have any other questions you can contact us directly and we will be glad to be at your service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.