Winnetka, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Hi Wanting to find out the best ways to move to the US permanently

I’m 21 years old and currently in Illinois on a J-1 visa. I’ve been in the country for almost two years and once I return home I plan on receiving my bachelors in language education.

Once I have earned my bachelors I would like to move to the US permanently but am unsure of the best ways to do so. I have a boyfriend here who’s family is extremely supportive and understanding of my situation. The problem I have is that I do not want to gain my green card by using my boyfriend for marriage. Would I be able to get a job here from my home country of South Africa? Would it be too difficult trying to apply for jobs when not in the country? I’m not sure what my best options are. I could definitely use some guidance please.

Thank you for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Roy Klein
Robert Roy Klein
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You'll need to see if you are subject to the 2 year home residency requirement. If so, you'll need a waiver.

If you don't want to marry, then you'll have to find a sponsor for an employment visa. With a bachelor's, you'll qualify for an EB-3. Finding a job will be difficult. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.