Bethlehem, PA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Selling a home in Puerto Rico.

My mom passed a away a few months ago. She owned a property in Puerto Rico that I would like to sell. She didn't create a will since I am her only heir. What steps do I need to take to sell the home. I live in Pennsylvania, so it's hard getting information. I do have the escritura, but that's it. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Ramon  Olivencia
Ramon Olivencia
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Before an heir can sell a property, it is mandatory that the inheritance process has finished. Therefore, the first step is to hire an attorney who you can work with. Currently, there are a number of lawyers working remotely so being in the USA is not a problem. Here is a summary of the steps needed to do the inheritance: Declaration of Heirs (if there was no will), Inheritance Estate Form (via the Treasury Dept.), transfer at the Puerto Rico Property Registry, change of ownership at the "CRIM" (property tax agency) and, finally, filing an Informative Transfer Form at the Treasury Department. The attorney will first have to do a title study to make sure that the property was only in your mother´s name. As well, there are several other smaller steps and documents that the attorney will need to process. In all, if everything is ok, the inheritance process can take 3-6 months. So, the sooner you start, the better. Also, you won´t accrue too many property taxes since they can start adding up after your mother´s passing (plus interests and penalties).

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.