Dearborn, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can 17 year olds legally leave home and stay with someone else in the state of Michigan?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kent Wood II
Kent Wood II
  • Lansing, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Under Michigan Law a Parent is required to provide for the financial needs of a child until they reach the age of 18, and potentially longer if that child has not graduated from high school yet. This requirement continues whether the child is living in your home or that of another. There is also additional responsibilities of a parent with respect to the child that continues as well such as school attendance.

There are two common ways to allow a child to live with another:

1. The child could be emancipated by the court, but very specific requirements must be met. This option would end the financial responsibilities of the parents as well.

2. A parent legally transfer authority to make major decisions as to health care, school, etc of the child to another via a Power of Attorney for up to 6 months. However, this does not eliminate the financial responsibility of a parent.

A 17 year old could seek emancipation outside of the parents wishes and desires. The parents would be entitled to notice and be able to participate in that process whether in support or against.

There are potentially other concerns that may exist in your situation that are not apparent from your question. You should seek out an attorney for more specific advice. Wood & Associates, PLLC is able to help with these matters as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.