West Palm Beach, FL asked in Employment Law for Florida

Q: Grant scam from my employer

I work in a small business and when covid 19 started I had a pay cut with out any warning un till I say my paycheck short by 1200 a month. I was told I’ll get pay back my money after he gets a grant no he told me he didn’t get it and won’t give me the money I was owed in the last 2 mibths and a half

today is payday I didn’t get my check after I ask the owner I was told he needs to give me my check threw his other company in case they check on him. Is he doing fraud how can I know ? Can I loose my job and money owed if he gets caught ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay P. Lechner
Jay P. Lechner
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Fraud may be actionable under the federal False Claims Act. Examples of potential fraud include: (1) an employer applying for a SBA PPP loan, despite not meeting the financial criteria; (2) the employer misrepresenting its payroll numbers to obtain a PPP loan; (3) the employer misusing PPP loan funds, such as utilizing them for non-payroll expenses and falsely reporting for loan forgiveness.

It is not possible from the information you provided to determine if any fraud is occurring. However, the False Claims Act does prohibit retaliation against an employee who engage in "protected activity," such as reporting fraudulent activity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.