Detroit, MI asked in Small Claims and Federal Crimes for Arkansas

Q: Sold my car for $4,500. The man wrote a check at my bank, transferred $ to my account. He took the car then stopped pymt

We made the transaction on camera with a bank teller who verified he had sufficient $ in his accountThe $ cleared into my account, then the next day it was returned to the buyer. I lost the $ and my car. Now they aren't answering the phone. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: File a complaint with the police department where this event occurred. Then take that complaint to the prosecutor. This is a crime even though stopping payment on a check is allowed. Failing to return the vehicle is theft.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.