Fort Worth, TX asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Louisiana

Q: If the police officer let me go, after taking a picture of my license, can I expect charges later? Or even jail time?

I was pulled over for failure to use my blinker but officer asked me if had anything illegal. I had about 4 grams of weed and a pipe. The officer let me go and didn’t give me a ticket or summons but told me someone would be in contact with me in a couple weeks after the courts open back up about a date and time to self surrender and pay my fine. I’m really confused about what this means. I am scared this means jail time, and I am also scared that this will greatly negatively affect my record.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you are correct about the amount it is a misdemeanor. you will receive a summons. You can hire a criminal attorney to handle this for you. If you do not have a prior criminal record, you will not get jail time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.