Charlotte, NC asked in Probate for North Carolina

Q: My dad passed away in high point nc this week. He didnt have a will but my uncle doesn't want me going to his house

Until the end of the month. My dad rented rooms out and I'm afraid things will go missing what are my right by law. I live in south Carolina

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Evan Lohr
Charles Evan Lohr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If your father didn't have a will, then you, his other children (if any), and his spouse (if any) would be a beneficiary of his estate, so you would own the property and have access to it. You would need to open an estate to show the transfer of title to the property (there is a relatively inexpensive and quick way to do this if the real estate was his only asset and in some other circumstances) and it also sounds like you have some lease issues to deal with depending on what you want to do with the property.

Feel free to contact me if you need any further assistance.

Evan Lohr



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.