Jackson, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: I have malicious mischief for 2,000 grand , it’s a misaremnor, can they upgrade the charge

Before I was arrested on the warrant I paid the sum way ahead of time , but the charge says misaremsnor

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Stewart
Kevin Stewart
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Flowood, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Malicious Mischief can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony depending on the value of the property destroyed. If the value of the property destroyed is in excess of $1,000.00 but less than $5,000.00, it shall be a felony punishable by a fine not exceeding $10,000.00 or imprisonment in the Penitentiary not exceeding 5 years, or both.

Lance Mixon agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.