Lancaster, CA asked in Tax Law for California

Q: IRS Sent me a Tax Court Letter, what Are My Options Here ? I Didnt Get their 1st Letter. This Is A Final Notice

The IRS Sent me a letter saying i owe them money from taxes back in 2017. Turns out this is the 2nd and final letter. Never received the 1st. Anyways it says i owe $4000+ since i worked in additional 3 places and didnt declare taxes. Says i can appeal in tax court. I just figured out me and my dad yet again have been mixed up again. After looking at the jobs according to THE IRS those jobs they want me to claim , those my father worked. Therefore their his taxes which he declared already. So since theres a mix up in names. What can i do ? It seems like a simple fix however this whole tax court and having to pay 4k i aint doing it. So icwant to know if i can simply bring my fathers tax returns to court and show their his or what.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You and dad may take your documents to a tax professional and get everything straightened out. It may not be necessary to go to the tax court. I hope this helps. Zaher Fallahi, Esq, CPA (CA &D.C.).

Disclaimer: The information provided here is not intended for and may not be construed as solicitation, or legal and tax advice. For specific advice please consult your legal counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.