Asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: Is it possible for a judge to seal your record immediately at the time of the guilty plea? (NYC)

7 Years ago (age 20-22?) I was charged with Felony Grand Larceny. I have done several background checks and I’m unable to find the charge. The situation was very unique and borderline civil! The judge I could tell was unhappy with me being there (she said multiple times “I don’t like this at all” and “something doesn’t feel right about this”). She even appointed me one of the best attorneys free of charge. I ultimately pleaded guilty in fear for going to jail. Is it possible the judge sealed my case immediately? I can’t find anything at all- no record! This took place in Manhattan , NY. Thank you for your help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Arbeit
Michael Arbeit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Freeport, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you plead guilty to a crime, I doubt it was sealed. When the courts finally re-open after this pandemic, go to the court clerks office and request a Certificate of Disposition. You can possibly have your matter sealed after 10 years after the conviction pursuant to CPL section 160.59

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.