Estero, FL asked in DUI / DWI for Florida

Q: Is there a way to find a lawyer who is licensed in FL and SC that deals with DUIs?

My son was charged with a DUI in SC, hired a lawyer who said she would take care of it, moved to FL then got a DUI both about 8 years ago. He has satified all of the conditions required by each state, but SC won't release his license until FL does and FL won't release his license until SC does . It is a vicious circle. i feel he needs to hire someone who can deal with both and advise him. Any ideas?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Blecher
Jonathan Blecher pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It's a Catch-22. Once you get in between two state's suspensions, it's difficult to straighten out.

You don't need to be licensed in both states to resolve this for your son since it doesn't involve court appearances. I'm in the middle of a situation now between Nevada and Florida both holding up a client's license. Just about ready to have him cleared up, where he's been stuck for over 8 years. The key is being able to navigate the bureaucracy, which will be even more complicated with Covid-19 shutting things down. It can be done, though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.