Corpus Christi, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can he still get in trouble even though she's over 21 now.

They got together when she was 16 and he was 36. And been together for years. And recently broke up. If a relative found out they were together while she was a minor back then, could the guy still get in trouble???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Shannon Willis Locke
Mr. Shannon Willis Locke
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is a tough question. However, there is sufficient reason to be concerned. In Texas, you cannot touch the genitalia of a person under the age of 17 with the intent to arouse or gratify anyone's sexual interest. This is true even if the person consented. Still, there may be obstacles to prosecuting such a case and a prosecutor's office may be reluctant to move forward with such an allegation. Your friend needs to be very very careful who he talks to, as anything he tells to anyone (except his lawyer) can be used against him. He needs to contact an aggressive knowledgeable attorney ASAP so a plan can be made to avoid the filing of criminal charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.