Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Marriage-based visa for spouse of a U.S. citizen. Optional financial documentation of couple living outside the U.S.

Hello, my husband (U.S. citizen) and I (EU citizen) are currently applying for a marriage visa for the U.S. We have been married for 3 years now and we have been living in Germany since. Since we are planning on moving to the U.S. soon, we filed an I-130 application.

We did some research and apparently one of the upcoming steps is to prove that my spouse can support me financially. How will they calculate our income though, since we are both outside the U.S.?

Thanks in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stanley Dale Radtke
Stanley Dale Radtke
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Leandro, CA

A: Assuming your United States citizen spouse files his tax returns in the US, he will need to show that his income is sufficient to support the intending immigrant, you. Alternatively, if your spouse has sufficient accumulated wealth, i.e., bank accounts, investments, real estate, etc., you will need to provide evidence of such to USCIS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.