Carrollton, GA asked in Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: My friend is in federal custody and has a warrant for misdemeanor probation violation

in state he wants to take care of the probation Violation how does he go about taking care of it? As he is already facing time in federal he wants to get it all over and done with. So when he does get out he can be with his children and family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: There are numerous ways to take care of this issue. Everything from the U.S. Marshall service turning him over to the State to the State agreeing to dismiss the pending probation violation action. Much of the outcome depends on the attitude of your local prosecutors, the tenacity of his attorney to get the proper information to the State, and the determinations of the judges or magistrates involved. Worst case scenario, he will have consecutive sentences; this means that he would have to complete one sentence then be transferred to serve the other. As he is in Federal custody, they would likely make him serve their sentence first.

The reality of the situation is that a reasonable prosecutor and a hard-working defense attorney can usually work this out. Your friend needs to maintain good communication with his attorney or attorneys and keep his head up.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.