Galesburg, IL asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Illinois

Q: We need a plan for the future. My husband has MS. I'll keep him at home as long possible, but we need a plan in place.

Do we sell the house? I will not have the income to make the mortgage payment and the upkeep on the house. We also have a car payment, we are upside down and have 6 years left on the loan. Should we trade down? Also a personal unsecured loan with 5 years left to pay. Help please

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You need to consult with a financial advisor regarding your specific circumstances. There are too many facts missing and, in any event, this forum is not for personalized advice; it is best suited to answering simple questions with general applicability. A financial advisor can help you make a long term financial plan. If you think your husband might eventually need long-term care (24/7 skilled nursing care), then you should meet with a elder law attorney about Medicaid pre-planning. Finally, if you don't already have an estate plan in place, now is the time. An elder law attorney can help you with that as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.