Asked in Copyright for Ohio

Q: Do I need copywriter permission to make a 1 time driver license image for a birthday cake

Using a picture of an Ohio drivers license I erased all the info and put my daughter information on it so it could be printed One time on a birthday cake. The cake decorated said I need permission to use it because the Oh DL is copyrighted. How do you get permission

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Bill Hulsey
Bill Hulsey
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Austin, TX

A: No

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If the store will use the image to make the cake, the BMV is not going to care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.