Columbus, GA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Mississippi

Q: How can my husband get custody of my 3 children from their mother, who has full custody?

My husband and I have had his 3 children for 6 years. Their mother has full custody of them, but she has nothing to do with them. Maybe twice a year she sees them. Sometimes, she will show up and take them out of school, only to drop them off with us after a month or two and never show back up. She has done this twice in 6 years and each time we have a hard time getting them transferred out of the school they are in. We have tried using legal aide but they never follow through after calling daily. She uses drugs and has no job or vehicle. She once typed up papers giving him custody of the kids and had it notarized and witnessed, but it apparently isn't enough to do anything when she takes them. His license has been suspended for child support even though they recognize she isn't caring for them. We don't have a lot of money, so it's hard to find an affordable lawyer. We are at our wits end and have no idea what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: From the sound of it, you have a decent shot at modifying custody so that he has custody of the kids. The problem that comes into the play would be the back child support, because that continued to accrue even though the kids were living with you. I would highly encourage you to reach out to a lawyer to see what exactly can be done and to provide more information. Feel free to reach out to any lawyer on here by clicking the contact information next to their name. Most lawyers on here, myself included, provide free consultations, and may be willing to work with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.