Grovetown, GA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: I have a court order to receive payment by a private person exceeding $15,000 and that person refuses to pay

Awarded retirement back pay

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In a divorce in Virginia, an award for distribution of part of an ERISA retirement plan should be evidenced by a separate Qualified Domestic Relations Order, or, if not an ERISA plan, by a Domestic Relations Order. The QDRO must be approved by the plan administrator, who then separates a portion of the plan for the alternate payee spouse for distribution.

If there is simply an order to pay a lump sum in the Final Decree, the enforcement mechanism would be a show cause proceeding, asking the court to issue a rule to show cause in order to hold the alleged contemnor in contempt for failing to obey a court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.