Philadelphia, PA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: my son is 5 his mom is seeking back child support but was denying me from seeing him until i got v.r do i have to pay ?

I have message dated back from when i was trying to reach out and be in my son life but she wasn’t allowing me too i didn’t have any contact with unless she called me which was blocked and out the blue she totally cut me away from him I’m paying child support now but I’m currently in court cause she want back how can she receive back pay if you was neglecting them me from him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Child support and child custody are separate matters. You cannot withhold support if you are not seeing the child, and you cannot withhold the child if you are not receiving support. If there is a violation of either support or child custody, the correct procedure is to file a motion to show cause. In limited situations, you may be able to waive the arrears owed to one party upon a change in custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.