Oklahoma City, OK asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma

Q: Teen pregnancy

What are my options if my 17 y/o daughter gets pregnant. I don’t support it and have no intentions of helping and be responsible for another life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moura A J Robertson
Moura A J Robertson
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It's not clear what you mean by your "options". As long as she is a minor or regularly attending high school or a high school equivalent program, she is legally entitled to financial support by her parents. After that, there is no legal duty to support one's children absent a court order for support beyond the age of majority (which can be ordered under certain specific circumstances). As a parent, the best thing you can do in my opinion is put her in touch with the resources she is going to need as a new parent herself and provide her with the emotional support she is going to need to handle what is going to be a big responsibility.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.