Asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: I was cited for failing to obey a sign (reduced from a possible speeding charge). Pay or go to court? 5 safety points.

I wanted to know if because of my safety points the violation would affect my insurance rates and ability to work for a company such as DoorDash? Would it be best for me to go to court and see if I can go to traffic school to get the ticket expunged. I am going through a marital separation I don’t want right now and honestly was thinking about what I had to do as well as hoping to get home to do a distance teaching lesson (I am a teacher) and didn’t pay as good of attention as I should have to the speed. As soon as I noticed the speed, I tried to slow down immediately when I was pulled over. The officer was reasonable to reduce the charge but did not seem understanding about my circumstances. I get it; I accidentally went a bit too fast with no cars around me, but I did try to slow down. I have an impeccable driving record I take pride in and only have one other ticket ever due to an at-fault accident. That ticket was expunged because of traffic school. Can’t afford ins. increase.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wilfred Yeargan
Wilfred Yeargan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You have an excellent driving record and may be able to get the charge deferred for dismissal with a driver improvement course or reduced to a non-moving violation with no points. You need to consult with a good traffic lawyer with experience in the county in which you got the ticket. Convictions may affect employment for professional drivers.

Results often depend on the county involved and the skill and reputation of your lawyer. If you have questions contact my office for a free consultation.

Wilfred Yeargan


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.