Bronx, NY asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for New York

Q: Wife and I file jointly but wife used her itin which made us ineligible for stimulus money she received ssn toda

Can we do anything to still get stimulus even though we already received the tax return

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Amend your tax return and file it with IRS

D. Mathew Blackburn agrees with this answer

A: File an amended return under the SSN. Make sure to state this in the explanation section. Since amended returns must be submitted via mail it's going to be a long wait since mail has only recently started to be processed and the IRS was slow to begin with; now they have a backlog of physical mail to process.

Be sure to list a bank account for direct deposit, otherwise you'll be added to a list for a physical check and that'll add 2-24 weeks.

In the event you can't get a check or DD there will be a new form, hasn't been drafted yet, that will allow you to claim the credit under your SSNs and a line to put how much you've previously received. If you received too much you don't have to pay any of it back, if you received too little, or none, you will get a refundable credit. This will be based on your 2020 income not 2019.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.