Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: Hello i need advice. I live in Alabama and have since 2008. Ten years ago my husband and i split up

He had gotten with another woman and then moved out and we haven't been together since. 5 years ago he took our son and moved to Massachusetts without telling me beforehand (i spent two weeks panicking not knowing where my son was), and was told by several people that since we were still married he didn't do anything wrong and i couldn't do anything. I couldn't afford a divorce or a lawyer or anything back then, but i think i can afford one now but I'm not sure exactly where they are. He gave me an address and i checked three times asking if it was correct so i could send a birthday card and he said it was right but then the card got sent back and said invalid address. So i don't actually know where they are or what to do. How can i divorce him and what can i do about my son? I've been lost for the past 5 years about what to do.... any advice would be appreciated

1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Abandonment and infadelity are grounds for divorce in Alabama. It sounds like you would need to hire a private investigator to help locate your son. But, if you exhaust your attempts to locate your husband, you could be able to serve your husband by general publication. You're going to want an attorney to help you through this process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.