Centreville, VA asked in Child Support for Virginia

Q: Do I have to pay more child support, if I am getting paid more but less than 25% of what I was making before, in VA?

Currently, paying child support for my two boys. The child support ordered is dated/signed by the Judge August 2019 and my divorced was just signed as well this past month of April 2020...In April 2020, last month, I also changed employers. I got a new job now which I make more annually, but less than 25% of what I was making before (annually)...I read that in Virginia, usually child support orders are reviewed every 3 years unless major changes occur...one reason to review is that either parent make at least 25% more or less than what they were making before. My question is, do I have to pay more, now that I make more but less than 25% of what I was making before? Yes, my ex knows I have a new job, but not necessarily knows what I am making? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
  • Vienna, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You have to pay the last amount ordered. You continue paying the amount until a new order says otherwise.

If someone wants to change that amount, either reach an agreement with the other parent and submit an new order, or file a petition for the court to modify the amount based upon a material change of circumstances since the last order.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.