Harrisville, RI asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: What is the procedure for a 10-month temporary guardianship of a 17-year-old in CT?

My 17-year-old son was living with his father in RI, but he has recently passed away. My son does not want to move to Virginia where I live. There is a family friend who lives in Woodstock CT that my son wants to live with since he knows them very well. Can we sign a notarized letter stating they can have temporary guardianship of him for 10 months or do we have to go through court to do this? I need a pro bono or low-cost attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya
  • Westport, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Any parent or guardian of the person of a minor may apply to the Probate Court for the district in which the minor resides, is domiciled, or is located at the time of the filing of the petition for the appointment of a temporary guardian of the person to serve for no longer than one year if the appointing parent or guardian is unable to care for the minor for any reason including, but not limited to, illness and absence from the jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.