Orlando, FL asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: How can I request a continuance on my case without a lawyer, due to Covid-19, without having to be in court?

I have court on Tuesday May 26th. The court has already continued the trial twice now due to Covid-19. I have not been able to find council, nor can I afford an attorney with being without a job due to covid-19. So I need to request a continuance for those reasons and also because I don't want to subject myself to the possibility of contracting the disease due to being in the high risk catagory.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Your best is going to be to contact the court and request the continuance, and explain to them the reasons for your request.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.