Beverly Hills, FL asked in Communications Law, Constitutional Law and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: I have a dropped charge DB back in 2014 and Officer was gonna arrest me but I told him to leave cause he wasn't helpful.

My sister was a drug user and my grandmother who has dimensia, bailed her out and presumed to live with us. Keep in mind shes very manipulative. I was in my own room and she was drinking might had done coke to unsure. She started beating on my bedroom door and I opened it to see whats going on. She hit me twice and blocked the 3rd hit. So i went back into my room. And called my mom to come get me because my truck wasnt working. Well she ended up calling officers. So i put my bed to my door to keep it barricaded and went out the window. When 2 officers arrived they asked theyre queston and ask if they want me to press charges I said no cause she just got of jail trying to give her some grace i just want her to calm down. They presumed to ask me if had any charges i said 1 but it was dropped. The cop looked at me and said im gonna ask your sister some question and some how convinced the officer i was the wrong one and they wanted to arrest me But didnt nd left.How do i defend myself.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Defend yourself against what? You said the officers left without arresting you, and I assume you mean they also did not give you any notice to appear in court. Also, from your description, it does not sound like the type of police case where they will be in on-going investigation to determine if someone will be charged (such as a burglary investigation). You had some sort of domestic disturbance, the cops checked it out and then exited without charging anyone. In that type of situation, that's usually (though not always) the end of the matter. You might get some clarity on it by requesting a copy of the incident report.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.