Auburndale, FL asked in Criminal Law and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: I have a vop out of northampton county from 2011

In 2011 i was put on probation for a misdermeanor in pa i never reported so i violated in 2014 i went to jail in florida did 30 days and paid everything off here in fl o called pa to take care of the bench warrant at the prob office they told me to pay all the costs and then pay the fee to remove the bench warrant i did now at the prob office they telling me that the warrant cannot be removed until i go on front of a judge in pa i dont want to go to jail after i just paid a 1000 dollars for this matter...what are the chances that i have to do time or that the judge removes the bench warrant if i go up to pa to court? Plz help idid 4 months in pa for this case before i was given the 12 month probation the 30 days i served in fl was for unrelated charges...the warrant out of pa its only local

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Almost all courts and judges will require your personal appearance to remove an arrest warrant for a prior failure to appear. If you've done all that you say, and the Northampton Probation department has no objection to rescinding the bench warrant, then your chances are probably decent of avoiding jail time -- unless you get a pissy judge. Your best bet, however, is to have a local, knowledgeable attorney handle this for you and stand by you in court. There's a chance the warrant could even be resolved without a long trip to Pennsylvania (esp. during a pandemic).

Feel free to contact me offsite -- I do practice criminal law in Northampton County, and believe I can help you. Best of luck to you.

Mr. Ryan L Hyde agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.