Chula Vista, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Mississippi

Q: My daughter turns 12 next month and wants to live with me full time. Can I do this myself at a courthouse w/no lawyer?

I understand that the child can choose which parent they want to live with if they are 12 or older, even though the judge has the overall decision on the matter after an interview with the child. Now to my question. Is having a lawyer required for this process? Or is it something I can go to the courthouse myself to set up? Myself and the other parent were never married if that even matters. Thank you for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It is something that you can attempt to do yourself; however, when it comes to custody matters, many judges throughout the state require that the parties be represented by an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.