El Paso, TX asked in Child Custody for California

Q: Have an order in place in a custody matter; just transferred jurisdiction. Do we continue w current order or start over?

Have had a TX order since 2012, just transferred jurisdiction to CA. Do we follow the current TX order or do we have to start from scratch and there is no order to follow?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marco Antonio Torres
Marco Antonio Torres
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unless the Texas court order says otherwise, which would be out of the ordinary, it remains in force. If you choose to modify the Texas court order you may be able to do so in California, or alternatively return to a Texas court for modification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.