Lakeland, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: I have 2 boys with my ex and i was planning to move to Georgia after 4 yrs my ex shows up at my door. Can i still leave

My ex threw his son and my 2 girls out of our RI home while i was pregnant because he met someone and cheated. So i moved to my sister for a few months and decided i needed a better life for my kids and start fresh so i moved to Florida in 2016. I have tried to let him communicate with his child but he doesn't respond. So i let that go seeing how if he wanted anything to do with them he would contact me. Which he didn't. I moved in with my mother who helped me with my pregnancy i was having a tough time with my pregnacy im sure i could get medicals for. After 4 yrs he shows up at my door asking to see the kids now i dont mind him seeing the kids but i want it done through the courts. He smokes weed and a drinker thats why i would like the court involved he shiwed up at my door that it would be in my best interest to let him see the kids now. My boyfriend is a truck driver an has the opportunity in Georgia so we were planning to move there. No father is listed on the birth certifi

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, you can still leave unless he first files a lawsuit for visitation or custody. When he kids have been in Georgia for six months, assuming he hasn't filed by then, jurisdiction would be in that state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.