West Jordan, UT asked in Civil Litigation for Utah

Q: Can I file a Motion to Correct Clerical Mistake because of an error made by court clerk?

I am a pro se litigant and I recently filed a Complaint. However, the Clerk designated my case as a contract case, when in fact it’s a personal injury case. I’ve tried calling and talking to the clerk, but she’s firm in her belief and claimed to read my complaint. If she did so, she would see it has nothing to do with contracts.

I know FRCP Rule 60 is to correct an error with a judgment, but could I file a Motion to Correct Clerical Mistake to correct the wrongful nature of suit designation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler Young
Tyler Young

A: The designation by the court of the type of case you filed is not critical. It's my understanding that the court does that for administrative purposes. What is critical is that you Complaint correctly pleads your case. If you believe you have a personal injury case, but you've somehow plead this in such a way that the court believes this is a contract case, then you should have concerns with how you plead the case and you may need to amend your complaint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.