Saint Louis, MO asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: What actions can I take if the apartment office manager doesn't do anything about a tenant that is breaching the peace.

And also has been doing legal drug activity along with letting another occupant living in the unit (which is not on the lease and a pet) I have tried to verbally talk to this tenant to only be disrespected and threatened...I have noted the authorities and have documentation on the noise disturbance and yet when I tried to talk to the apartment manager.... Not to metion this tenant had also publicly urinated off his unit onto mine ..which a neighboring tenant had witnessed ...and Im single mother with a child ..I find that repulsive and unsanitary and yet nothing I say to the apartment office manager about this tenant gets reprimanded and terms for eviction. Any legal advice or action would be greatly appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It is unclear from your description whether you have provided written notice of these issues. You should document the problems with your neighbor and send them in writing to both the manager and the landlord/owner. Also, review your lease and see if there is a clause prohibiting disturbing your neighbors. If so, cite that clause in your written notice. If the manager and/or owner still refuses to take action you may be able to break your lease. Have an attorney review your lease terms for specifics.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.