Savannah, GA asked in Estate Planning for Nebraska

Q: Good morning! Question about whether a decedent's Will designating a trustee is sufficient to avoid probate.

We have been told my mother's Will designating me as trustee and personal representative, is not sufficient to avoid probate. The will drawn up in Nebraska, states " personal representative shall have all of the powers conferred on trustees under the Nebraska Trustees Powers Act.... I hereby grant to my personal representative full power to sell or otherwise dispose of estate assets, real, personal or otherwise, without court authorization..." This sounds like language created to specifically avoid the probate process. Can you let me know if this is true? or do we still have to have court approval. We understand we can use the statutes "Independent Administration of Estates Act" and the Set Aside Without Administration process as the profit will be less than 100K to help this move quickly but other than this, let me know if the language of the Will might help us avoid probate altogether. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Where there's a will, there's probate, period. Probate is how wills are administered. If you want to avoid probate, then you should create a trust-based estate plan. Trusts are administered with no court involvement unless someone sues to set aside or void or contest the trust.

Sometimes if an estate is small enough, the probate process is greatly simplified, but it's still probate.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.