Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Estate Planning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nebraska on
Q: Nebraska Revised Statute 43-293.

The Statute states An order terminating the parent-juvenile relationship shall divest the parent and juvenile of all legal rights, privileges, duties, and obligations with respect to each other and the parents shall have no rights of inheritance with respect to such juvenile

Does this mean... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Dec 30, 2019

If a parent's parental rights are terminated, it generally ends the legal relationship. Thus, the statutes of inheritance among parent-child are also generally severed. Thus, if the parent dies without a will, then the child isn't likely to inherit as a "child" of the parent since the legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Nebraska on
Q: My father while in hospice created a new will the day before he died cutting me out of his estate. Can I do anything?

He had a will in September 2019 with a lawyer's assistance. Notarized etc. The executor said he would like to meet with my siblings and I to see if we can reach an agreement. I have a feeling they will not. I would like to be ready to do what I need to do to contest the final will. I have no idea... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Dec 17, 2019

You can hire a will contest attorney to challege the will on the basis of lack of capacity and possibly also undue influence. Be prepared for the attorney to counsel you that reaching a settlement with your siblings will be cheaper and and easier than a will contest.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nebraska on
Q: i bought a new house . its all paid n free n clear.. my question is i havent made a change in my will yet .

my will has my previous property listed..

what happens if i die and havent listed this house in my will

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 26, 2019

The new house would pass according to the residuary clause in your will.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Nebraska on
Q: My mother passed away and I'm in charge of her estate she has back Medicaid do I have to pay back medacade
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jul 16, 2019

Medicaid recoupment is a powerful tool of the government to obtain funds from a deceased's estate to help pay back for the costs of Medicaid for the deceased. There is a whole subsection of estate planning that focuses on ways to prevent or minimize Medicaid recoupment. You should speak with an... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.