Tulsa, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Is it illegal to keep my two year old away from my abusive ex? We were never married.

We don't have custody established. And I spent years being abused by him and I fled for the safety of my family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moura A J Robertson
Moura A J Robertson
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It is not "illegal", in that is is not "against the law" in a criminal sense. Also, if there isn't any court order establishing custody and visitation, he does not have any enforceable rights. You, as an unwed birth mother, have "sole custody" as a matter of law. He would have to establish his rights through a court proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.