Lexington, KY asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kentucky

Q: My dad gave me something that is not included in the will but many people know his last wishes.

I put my life on hold the last four years to take care of my dad and I do it again. The last appointment I took my dad to the doctor told him he was dying and had few days left. My dad on the way home told me to take his truck that he wanted me to have it and also he wanted me to have the house because he knew my sister's didn't want it. He said the same thing to his dad, his sister, his best friend, and many more. Now that my dad has passed my older sister is executor of the will. About a week and a half after my dad died she put the truck into my name and I started to move in the house. The house has a lot of issues so I began to renovate and invested $5,000. my sister came to me last week and said since I got the truck and the house with 14 acres, she was going to take the farm which has 150 acres, and our other sister was going to take the other 150acre farm. My dad wanted me to have the truck and house and also a third of the farm. Is there anything I can bc the will say divide =

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If the will says divide equally, it will have to be divided equally. If your dad didn’t change the will to include those specific bequests, there is nothing you can do.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.