Asked in Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: childs mom on drugs and neglecting him, I want to take him away with me, what should I do, and can she stop me.

We’re not married, and I’m on the birth certificate as the father, I want to take him out of state. We will be living with family until I can secure a job and housing. I’m about to file for emergency custody, is there anything I should know that would help me keep my child

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you believe your child is being abused and/or neglected by mother's drug abuse then you are a mandatory reporter and required under law to report it. The Tennessee Child Abuse Hotline is 877-237-0004. You need to retain a local seasoned family law attorney to file a petition for dependent and neglect as well as for custody in Juvenile Court. Good Luck to you.

Paul E. Tennison agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.