Greenville, SC asked in Real Estate Law, Animal / Dog Law and Civil Rights for Georgia

Q: How do I file for adverse possession on house that has been abandoned for several years. I have occupied it since 2016 a

Prior to that the owners had died and told my mom she could have the house because she cared for them when they needed help for shopping and healthcare. I have keys to the home and have painted inside and put a wood floor down and was in process of roof repair. But last week the house was boarded up with 4 kittens inside. I was told the kitties were picked up by animal control and I discovered just last night that they were still inside the house. I found a window open and was able to rescue them bc the momma cat kept talking to me. They r now about 6weeks old and there was food and water down when they were imprisoned. What can I do to get immediate results. Also EVERYTHING I own is in that house. Also my mom ihas Alzheimer's and doesn't know what she is doing or saying these days and I believe the man who has been buying houses around here for section 8 rentals has been getting misinformed by talking to her from what little bit mom said to me. It's a mess for sure.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: It does not appear that you have any legal or equitable interest in the property. You did not mention taxes being paid by you or any type of deed conveyance. In fact it looks like you do not even have possession which a new owner would have to evict you from. Adverse Possession cannot be filed for, instead it is the legal grounds for Quieting Title or Ejectment Actions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.