Livonia, MI asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: I don't know where to start a divorce. concerns because my ex is being shady and we have a child

I'm a 23 year old female and he is a 26 year old male. This is both of our first marriage. We got married 12/07/2018. He keeps telling his friends and family one story as to why we are divorcing and tells me another story as to what he has told them. He has been active in smearing my name, working hard to make me look bad and I have concerns that he wants to go after the one thing that he knows would hurt me the most. Keeping our daughter from me and taking away my parental rights. Though his parents seem to want to stay out of it I had confronted my MIL and she brushed it off. I've told him I don't want to go after child support and I want to co parent. He agreed at first but he started getting shady due to a close friendship I had made with one of his friends. To a point where he has caused me stress and anxiety while even at work. I don't know how to proceed with the divorce, but I know I need help fast.

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Clair Shores, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You start by filing a complaint and serving him. At that point you can begin negotiating child custody, property settlement, etc. If he files first, you would be the defendant but that likely won’t change the outcome related to child custody at all. Michigan is a no-fault divorce state. What people say outside the divorce will not matter to a judge.

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.