Warsaw, IN asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: My (current) husband and I are in the process of building a house, the mortgage loan is in his name...

However, the property is in both of our names. Infidelity on his part has caused me to research my potential options going forward and I would like to discuss my legal options. We have two innocent children involved in this mess as well. We live with his parents in one county (the same one we were married in), but the house is being built in a different county. Would that affect anything? Is there a way to get through this amicably without causing much harm to our children? He refuses to stop communicating with his affair partner yet does not want to get a divorce. I need legal help about five months ago!! I am a stay at home mom and he controls 'our' finances and basically our entire life. PLEASE HELP!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: The issues you raise are complex ones, and detailed answers would require a more in-depth review of your situation. It is possible, once a divorce is filed, to get through the process amicably and with little effect on the children. However, that largely depends on the respective postures of you and your husband, and whether the two of you would be able to compromise enough to get a deal done.

Your best bet, given the relative complexity of your situation, is to sit down with an experienced divorce attorney, who can look through your situation in detail and give you guidance from there. I hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.