League City, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: Temporary custody was given to me and I let her visit hermom and adult brothers and aunt's. But she won't give her back.

Her mother refuses to give child back. We live in ga and they live in lousiana. The Mother lied about having an apt and doing well and is currently living in a one bedroom apartment with the child's aunt. But is refusing to let us come back and get her. It was supposed to be a visit bc she hasn't seen siblings or that side in the 3 yrs of us having her bc no plans were ever made. Now they are saying we can't come back and get her. We have temporary custody and have had her 3 years and she's been in school here three years. When she came she didn't have but a small sack of clothing to her name and she had been house hopping with her birth mom before we got her mom to let us get her and sign temp papers. What can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to review the custody papers you have and advise on your options. Your next step will likely depend on whether the papers you have giving you temporary custody were signed by a judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.